Thursday, December 09, 2004

wangaratta, where there is no statue of nick cave

It's the season. Everyone is thinking of Old Nick. Certainly Sean Hegarty was when he wrote the piece on Nick Cave's hometown/s from which I purloined the heading above. I strongly suspect Sean's blog will reward further reading on most of his topics.

More on
Nick from The SMH. A Nick interview from the UK Telegraph which is on Nick's own site Nick Cave Online where you can read Nick's letter to MTV on rejecting an award.

Extract from letter: (Nick wrote it in caps)

....I feel that it's necessary for me to request that my nomination for best male artist be withdrawn and furthermore any awards or nominations for such awards that may arise in later years be presented to those who feel more comfortable with the competitive nature of these award ceremonies. I myself, do not. I have always been of the opinion that my music is unique and individual and exists beyond the realms inhabited by those who would reduce things to mere measuring. I am in competition with no-one. My relationship with my muse is a delicate one at the best of times and i feel that it is my duty to protect her from influences that may offend her fragile nature...."

Theres a good
SALON article here on Nick, if you can negotiate through the adverts to get a free view. It is possible. The article is by Thomas Bartlett who also has a blog called doveman.