Monday, February 21, 2005

loathing rolling stone

I first came across Hunter S Thompson in Rolling Stone. I guess in the late 60's. It wasn't all that easy to regularly find copies of Rolling Stone in those days. It was great to read his take on USA politics "live" as it were. Then in 1971 (or was it 72) he wrote some articles on Nixon's campaign also "live". He careered through the campaign like a rocket fuel powered 360 degree video camera and recording machine. It was surreal but somehow more real than anything else around. Many a time since then I have dreamed of having my own Samoan Attorney.

During the last Australian election campaign I would have liked to lend my
Samoan attorney to Nabakov, put up a Paypal button to collect money for drugs and send Nabs on Latham's Bus, or perhaps an orange or yellow Datsun 180B with a cloth top, to write a daily blog about it. It's now one of my great regrets in life that I didn't do it.

I was going to have a rant about the current state of
Rolling Stone. But I've lost all passion. I don't care. It seems Rolling Stone doesn't care either.

I went to their
web site expecting to see the front page at least dedicated to Hunter S. Nothing. Not a bloody thing. Not even a link. This is what we have come to. UPDATE: It took them about 48 hours but finally there is a link up. Weak as.

UPDATE: I didn't think I'd ever say this but
Professor Bunyip has written something on Hunter S I can largely agree with.