Tuesday, February 28, 2006

plumpness leads to broken social scene

j_p_z the mysterioso americano newcomero commento over at country & latte music blog Larva Arse Rodeo said:

I saw you referencing the Lucky Strikes ’so round, so firm, so fully-packed’ as a song lyric. Thought you’d be amused to know the phrase was also used in a (modified) form in the great old polka classic, “Who Stole the Kishka?” I quote the version recorded by the Pennsylvania polka kings, Frankie Yankovic and His Yanks…
“Round and firm and fully-packed,
It was standing on the rack.
Someone stole the kishka
When I turned by back!”

Love them accordions….


FXH further research: Who Stole The Keeshka (Kishka) is the third (3rd) song on the "Frankie Yankovic & Friends - Songs Of The Polka King" album. It is an original song by W. Solek & W. Dana. Both Frankie Yankovic & "Weird Al" Yankovic play accordion throughout the song. Frankie Yankovic & "Weird Al" Yankovic are not related.

There is a
post and comments praising currently touring Canadians Broken Social Scene over at LP. j_p_z goes on to ask me what I think of of them. I could pretend I knew all about them but I only vaguely recall mentions of the name. Somehow I found a local blog talking about Broken Social Scene. Dave in Melbourne has a review of them over at his blog Sympathetic Stupid. Here's the intro:

Broken Social Scene. Broken Social Scene. Broken Social Scene. That's all I've got. I'm still buzzing (and my ears are, in fact, still ringing) after seeing these guys yesterday. They played the best festival set I've seen, hands down, bar none. Not that there's a heap of contenders as festivals are regularly disappointing.

But this was objectively great. They're touring with just the bare ten members.......
FXH says
Go read the rest and leave a comment.