Monday, July 12, 2004

britain's top 100 public intellectuals?

The Prospect magazine site invites readers to vote on the top five British public intellectuals.

"The five public intellectuals who receive most votes will be invited to dinner with a cabinet minster and the editor of a national newspaper, and Prospect will report on the conversation."
The lucky reader voters who match the choice of the winners will each receive a copy of Samuel Huntington’s new book, "Who Are We? America’s Great Debate."

I found some small amusement matching the prize title and competition title.

Most of the names were unfamiliar to me. I wondered if they checked .au logins to allow votes. I didn't vote for Germaine Greer. I voted for Seamus Heaney. Adam Phillips because it looked a bit like Philip Adams and Jonathan Sacks because I'd never heard of him