Saturday, July 03, 2004

Eric Clapton and Chris Sheil

Christopher Sheil over at Back Pages in his 2 July 2004 post continues a theme he has developed of boosting Eric Clapton.

I'm well aware of the awe that some ageing rockers hold Clapton but I must say that for me he has never really had anything to say since Cream and then it was a case of the whole being more than the sum of the parts. I dont have any Clapton on CD, only old vinyl, always a good test for me. On the other hand, and who would have predicted it, I have a lot of latter day Jack Bruce on CD. In my view Bruce has progressed and I've not heard anything from Clapton to make me want to go out and buy a CD. I'm still willing to give him a go, after all those old air guitarists might be on to something but somehow I dont think so. Perhaps his new Robert Johnson album might do it. But heck to play Clapton's I Shot De Sherrif alongside Marley's version is to confirm that EC is "just a white boy chained to his headphones"

Oh you asked what am I listening to right now. The Greatest American Band still extant. Los Lobos THE RIDE